Number 4 October 29, 2015
I have enjoyed talking with students about their Fall Break activities. I hope that your family was able to get outside to enjoy the beauty of the mountains and deserts around Taos at this special time of year. There is still time left! I am happy to report that TCS staff has received grants totaling $3,509 from the Taos Community Foundation and the Taos Public Education Fund this year. If you know anyone at TCF or TPEF, then thank them from Taos Charter School families. Teachers went out of their way to write grant proposals for materials that will augment the supplies and services provided by TCS in specific ways. Next week will see a number of fun and educational opportunities for our greater community. Please read the Chalkboard for more details about the events below:
Oct. 29 Report cards go home
Oct. 30 Parent-teacher conferences- no classes
Nov. 4 Community dyslexia seminar 7-9pm
Nov. 5 Angela Spady author visits K-5
Nov. 5 Art opening celebrating the tile mosaic 5-6pm
Nov. 5 Explora! Night 5:30-7:30
Nov. 10 Governing Council meeting 3:00
Nov. 18 Evacuation drill. Time TBA
Nov. 20 Friends meeting 3:15
Nov. 25-7 No School
- Please visit the lost and found racks in the cafeteria/gym entrance to collect clothing, lunch bags, and more.
- A parent sponsored, TCS hosted dyslexia workshop is open to the public on Wednesday night from 7-9PM in the cafeteria space. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Everyone is welcome.
- An evacuation drill is going to occur in the middle of November. We only conduct this drill one time per academic year. The entire student body will take their backpacks and jackets and hike off campus to a designated spot to prepare for an event such as a gas leak. Teachers will prepare students ahead of time.
- We will have three fun events on Thursday next week.
- Author Angela Spady is an award-winning educator and author. See http://channingobanning.com/ She has been featured on PBS, in KY Teacher Magazine, and in various print media around the country. She will give classroom presentations from her books to K-5th grade classes.
- We will have an art opening to celebrate the completion of the mosaic by Christopher Thomas and TCS students. Join us from 5:00-6:30 and meet the artist before Explora! begins at 5:30.
- Explora! comes to Taos Charter School. Families and friends are invited to enjoy hands-on science exploration activities and the Student Council will sell concessions. This is a great, fun event.
- The first quarter grading period ended on October 16th and report cards will go home today. Tomorrow, October 30th, is parent-teacher conference day; please come to meet with your child’s teacher if you have not already made time to meet together.
- Please make the parking lot and driveway areas safe for our students by driving slowly throughout your visit to drop off and pick up students on campus. Please observe the one-way direction flow and speed limits.
Douglas Moser, Director