Parents are required to contact the school concerning absences within 48 hours of the absence or the absence will be recorded as unexcused. State law requires that after 3 days of illness a written doctor’s excuse be provided for documentation.
- Call attendance line, 751-7222 press 2 for attendance, and state the date and why your child is absent.
- DO NOT rely on verbal communication or notes left with office staff or the teacher.
- Messages left on a teacher’s voicemail are not sufficient; you must leave a message with the office.
- Absences are only excused if called in within 48 hours.
- Doctor’s excuses must be provided after the third consecutive absence and within 48 hours.
- There are no excused tardies. Keep in mind 3 tardies = 1 unexcused absence.
- Instructional time begins promptly at 7:50am and 8:20am. The bell rings promptly at 8:15 to allow 5 minutes to walk to class and settle in.
- Even 1 minute late is a tardy.
Students having 10 days of unexcused absences will be reported to the Children, Youth & Families Department and/or the Juvenile Probation Office. Students having 20 total days of absences will be considered for retention in their grade level. Any student showing a consistent pattern of unexcused absences will be reported to the Children, Youth & Families Department and/or the Juvenile Probation Office. Taos Charter School prohibits out-of-school suspension and expulsion as a punishment for unexcused absences and habitual truancy. Disenrollment due to consecutive absences will only be used after exhausting intervention efforts to keep a student in school.